Saturday, November 13, 2010

Turkey Meatballs with Pesto

I have been on a ground turkey kick lately. I am making turkey tacos, turkey burgers, Indian turkey kebabs, and of course, the old standby, turkey meatballs. I love meatballs! And I feel better about eating them pretty regularly when I make them with turkey instead of ground beef.

Here is what I do:

1 pound ground extra lean turkey
1-2 eggs (depends on my mood)
1/3 cup of Italian bread crumbs (less if only one egg)
1 tablespoon pesto (pre-made usually)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
1/4 cup grated parm
sprinkle of some oregano or other herbs that sound good
splash of Worcestershire

Mix together gently, form balls, and bake at 400 degrees for about 10 - 12 minutes depending on the size of those balls! Ha!

Ok, so, I like to add the pesto because I think it adds some nice moisture and flavor to what can be pretty boring balls. I am also careful to not over handle the balls. ;) But, really, you do not want to mess with it too much because they do get tough.

I serve with spaghetti and tomato sauce, of course. Nothing new or revolutionary here, just some good week night spaghetti and meatballs.

No comments:

Post a Comment