Friday, October 29, 2010

Marie Helene's Apple Cake via French Fridays with Dorie

I made this apple cake to follow the Hachis Parmentier when my brother and his family were visiting a couple weeks ago. Is this totally cheating as far as the French Fridays with Dorie group goes? I hope it is not too terrible of a crime that I have committed and that I will not be forcefully ejected from the group-- because I LOVE it. From now on I plan to cook the recipe on the proper week, but it just made sense to make some of these when there were more mouths to feed in the house. Moving on... these are the apples I used (note the hugeness)


My cake did not turn out very pretty. I used a 9 inch spring form pan. I think this makes a big difference. I am also using a new-to-me oven and I think it is actually heating up to a lower than advertised temperature. I need to add a oven thermometer to my grocery list. Also, my apples were huge and I ended up with a lot of barely cover apples once I mixed them with the batter.

I baked it for the suggested amount of time and took it out to cook. It was pretty rare looking- no picture because I was pretty sure it was going in the trash at this point. I stomped around the kitchen and called my mom to complain and to get her advice on how much meat people eat (see previous post). She suggested I put it back in the oven and see what happens. Thank goodness for Mom!




I ended up putting this back in the oven for another 15 minutes. At this point it looked way better- although still nothing like the picture in the book. Mine just seemed to lack the cakey quality. But, it tasted fabulous and I will be making this again. I saw on the P/Q thread people were 1.5-ing the recipe to fill a 9 inch pan and I will probably do that next time and pick more medium sized apples, as well. I served this with Haggen Dazs dulce de leche ice cream and it was a big hit!

No comments:

Post a Comment